Thursday, September 13, 2012

Screen time.

If you know me well, you probably know that the past year I've been making efforts to reduce my screen time.  I've done things like putting my laptop in the den, so that I have to go there with more purpose.  (I used to keep it in our great room and I'd sit on my couch when I used it.)  I made a rule for myself that I'm not allowed to be on my computer when Riley comes home from school.  I have a snack and a visit with him and give him my full attention.  I've come to realize that I just don't feel very well after I've been on the computer for a long stretch.  I feel more tired, kind of down and fuzzy-brained, almost as if the computer has sucked out a bit of my zest and happiness.  Weird hey!

So I will continue writing my blog but it might be a little more sparse and sporadic. 

Second day of swim club went really well.  I was literally the slowest person there.  My dad would normally take that blessed title but he couldn't make it to swim club today.  I really don't mind being the slowest.  It means I have the most room for improvement and will probably benefit most from being there.  I love being surrounded by faster swimmers because it's inspiring.  I'm not sure they all love having me there though. I'm kind of like the "difficult" child at school who takes all the teacher's time.  I ask a lot of questions and probably get more of our coach's attention than anyone else.  Oh well.  Too bad for them that they're not as slow as me.

I ran 21 km last Monday and it felt kinda brutal.  Our 10 day holiday really gave my fitness a kick in the pants.  It seems like my hamstrings and IT band tightened up and it's causing me a little knee pain.  Yep, I like to self-diagnose.  So I have 2 weeks to get my butt in gear and ready for the Harvest Half Marathon.  My fitness is not going to be at the same level it was for the Hawaii half Ironman.  At that race I ran the half in 1:55 after swimming 2 km and biking 90 km. Plus it was a tough, hilly course.  At the Harvest Half I think I'll be aiming to go sub 2 hours.  It's the off season for me, so I'm focusing more on swimming and strength training and well, having fun.

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE MY HERO!! I'm following in your footsteps. Today marks the beginning of my screen diet.

    ReplyDelete