Friday, June 1, 2012

Race is tomorrow!

Something that's always bothered me a bit about blogs is how sometimes people's lives just sound so perfect and ideal, without any of "the real stuff".  I feel like I was guilty of this "glossy type" writing yesterday.

This is one of those special little stages of life where expectation and preparation meet performance.  Like any stage, it has it's highs and lows.  I suppose that one thing I'm learning is that with life's high and lows we always have a choice.  We can choose to ride out the lows and bask in the highs.  I've been trying to do that on this trip so far.  There have been some stresses with money: the airline charged us $400 for the bikes, when they had told us on the phone it would be $50.  (We'll have to pay that on the way back too.)  The course is so gorgeous but it's more challenging than we both pictured in our minds, which is a little daunting.  I know I can do it, it's just a matter of how fast I can do it.  Getting good rest and nutrition is another challenge, with having to be at the Calgary airport at 4am, busy days with lots to do and a time change to navigate.  I'm learning a life lesson that when these challenges arise, the best thing I can do is be on the same team with Adam, so that we bear the burden together.  Unified.  It's not always easy but I'm learning.

After only 5 hours sleep last night, an early morning run, packing some race bags, stretching and a shower, we are now headed to the grocery store.  And it's only 9am.  :)

Despite all the busy stuff and the ups and downs, I am so grateful to be here.  I am grateful for this opportunity to race in and explore one of God's special creations.  As me and Adam were falling asleep last night we both commented that we sure love to race but we are sure looking forward to the vacation afterwards too....when the pressure is off and we can bask in our accomplishment.  I am so looking forward to that moment in the swim when the canon sounds and I am racing.  There is something so special about that moment, when the excellence of my preparation transforms into performing with lightness and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment