Monday, July 23, 2012

Adventures and Strength Training

Adam and I have had some great adventures this past year.  

Now I want to have some great adventures with my kids.  Even at their young age, I think there's so much we could do together as a family, especially if we think creatively.

So this Saturday we are going on a bike adventure.  There's a beautiful paved path that's about 60 km round trip.  We'll have two tandem style bikes, so that we do the majority of the work but it's still a team effort and a family accomplishment. When I presented the idea to the kids Kyla said, "I better do my morning stretches that day so I have enough energy." 

Here's our little athletes in a fun run they did a few weekends ago. 



This weekend I designed a Triathlon Strength Training Program.  It's based on some ideas from Mark Allen, who is an Ironman Champion.  This morning I went through the exercises and figured out my starting weight for each move.  I realized how much I love strength training.  It's been awhile, so I've forgotten the feeling of strain, effort and fatigue that come from it.  I loved how achy and tingly my body felt afterwards.  I also love that by incorporating strength training into my workouts I will be a faster triathlete.  One of my favorite moves is a hip flexor cable thrust.  Such an important muscle for both running and cycling, that often gets overlooked.

I am pretty sure that I'll be doing a half marathon in the fall.  We are just working out the details of our family vacation plans, so once we figure that out I will register.  Adam wants to join a master swim club and I figure I probably should do that, since the swim is my weakest of the three.  The thing is, I just love running so much that I'd rather focus on that.  Hmmm....what to do???


1 comment:

  1. Which half are you thinking of doing? It sounds like you're having lots of fun with the kids. I think Milo might do a 1k race with me in September. He's really excited and it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete