Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Some little thoughts about THOUGHTS.

I like to put little notes up on my bathroom mirror once in awhile.   I've had this one up for awhile and I've left it up because it remains helpful to me;

"You get what you think about, whether you want it or not."

Found that little nugget in a book by Wayne Dyer, whom I love.
I read a study awhile ago where they analyzed data on the location of highway traffic accidents.  In the study, they found a high percentage of accidents occurred where people crashed into utility poles. Much higher than it should have been statistically.  Why would this happen?  Well, you can imagine that many of these drivers were likely thinking, "don't hit the pole, don't hit the pole, don't hit the pole."

A few weeks ago Kyla had a little surgery on her ears.




A couple nights after the surgery I was talking with her before bed.  I said, "Kyla, you'll probably find tomorrow that your ears don't hurt anymore.  They are getting so much better now, so you probably won't feel pain anymore."  I mentioned to Adam about our little conversation and he laughed because he had said pretty much exactly the same thing to her before saying goodnight to her.  And guess what?  The next morning she woke up happy and said she didn't need or want medicine.  Yes, yes, I know that timing was part of this, as her ears truly were healing but I believe her thoughts were a more powerful part.

I remember when I nursed my two babies, I loved to read at the same time.  Might as well multi task, right?  I remember on multiple occasions I would read something that made me feel good and all of a sudden my milk would start flowing like a fire hose and my baby would have to come off for air.  If good, positive thoughts effect my milk supply like that , then what else are they doing to my physical body.  I believe there are powerful, unseen physical changes that occur in our bodies when we fill our minds with good thoughts.

I was speaking with my midwife at my last appt about how my previous experiences preparing mentally for some big races have helped prepare me to have this baby.  I told her that I've learned how unhelpful 'worry' is.  I've learned that it really does nothing good for me.  Sure, it's good to be aware of difficult things that are coming and to proactively prepare for them, but 'worry'....all that has done is cripple me.  I have learned that I perform best in races when I trust my body and relax into it, which is the same with labour and probably a lot of other things in life.






1 comment:

  1. You rock kim! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Thanks for these thoughts, I really needed them today!

    ReplyDelete