Sunday, March 23, 2014

It's Quite A Stage.

As you probably know, we have a 6.5 year gap between Kyla and Ivy.  Yeah, so it's been awhile since we've done the whole newborn thing.  It's actually been a refreshing break.  Not that we exactly planned to have a big gap in our family but the way it's turned out has been a blessing.  Might as well make the best of what life offers you, right!

We feel like we've waited a long time for Ivy to come to us.  We had been praying for her to come, praying that we'd be prepared and praying that it would be a sweet and joyful experience.  We feel like these prayers have been answered.  So many blessings have been given to us by God, throughout my pregnancy, in Ivy's birth and in caring for her.  We chose to honor God by giving Ivy the middle name Grace.  To honor Him for all He has given us.

Even with all our gratitude, all these blessings, this stage is still wonderfully challenging.  

But we try to keep our sense of humor about it and that makes a big difference.

In the middle of the night when Ivy cries out Adam says, "master is calling."  Sometimes he adds, "master goat is calling" because her little newborn noises resemble a little goat.

Adam is such a baby whisperer and he always amazes me with this sixth sense he has with our babies.  Like last night, he was changing Ivy's diaper and she kept tucking her knees up.  So he pushed gently on her lower abdomen and she pushed back and out came fart after fart, squirt after squirt.  Pretty funny stuff at 3 AM, let me tell you.

We also have a bit more maturity this time around.  I am relaxed, even when she's not latching on well.  Or when we go to bed at night, I don't get anxious about how the night is going to go.  I just say in my head, "it will be what it will be."  Knowing that I'll get through it and another morning will come.  Funny how with a newborn, the sun rise almost feels like a finish line.

Riley still loves to watch me nurse Ivy.  The other day he was standing next to me, watching her, when he said out loud, "there is nothing in the world as cute as a baby girl, is there mom?"

I am healing up, emotionally and physically.  Feeling good.  Feeling myself.  I am so grateful to family and friends who have been there to support our family as we adjust to being a family of five.  THANK YOU!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment