Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pregnant workout buddies

It's become more and more humorous for me at the gym, as I get bigger.  Firstly, my outfits have taken on a new level of 'special' this past month.  I have outgrown my workout bottoms and because there's not much time left in my pregnancy, I decided to just borrow Adam's big basketball shorts.  My tops have also become too short, so I've been using baggy race t shirts, both mine and Adams.  That, combined with my compression socks, makes for a lovely ensemble.  I find people look at my face, immediately glance at my belly and then look away quickly so they don't get caught staring.  It's even better when I'm with Silvana because then it's twice the belly, twice the strange looks.

We have been meeting about once/week at the gym for years and have just continued on right through our pregnancies.  Today might be our last prenatal gym date and it was fairly comical.

 

Today our favourite elliptical machines were either broken or in use, so we used the other ellipticals until a few minutes in when Silvana's foot went numb.  So we switched to walking on the treadmill.  My pace and incline were too much for this very pregnant body and my lower abdominals started aching after 15 min. So we switched to spin bikes until both our girly parts were completely numb.  Then our favorite ellipticals were free so we finished off with a few minutes there, until Silvana's foot numbness set in again.

We laughed through the workout, as it is getting harder to find things we can both comfortably do.

The best part of our workouts is always the long stretching session afterwards, which mostly involves talking and awkwardly rolling out our pregnant bodies on the blue foam roller. Thanks Silvana for the good times!

The girl working at the gym's front desk was apparently talking about me to the manager because when I walked in she said, "there's the girl I was telling you about who is due any day now and is going to have her baby at the gym."  I laughed and said, "and you're going to deliver it right.  They train you for that kind of stuff don't they?"

My kids are bursting with excitement about their new baby sister.  Yesterday they made cards for her that they placed in her crib and today they made her some "toys" out of play-doh.


Kyla's disappointment this morning when she discovered baby hadn't come in the night was so sweet.  She cried and was very glum during breakfast.  It's tender for me to experience this pregnancy and the excitement through my children's eyes.  Kyla has been asking me all day, "are the tightenings getting stronger momma?"  She likes to feel my belly and how it gets firm when it tightens.  She also loves to move my bellly around in circles and say, "you're belly is like jelly momma."  Riley is more gentle and loves to gently hug his baby sister.  They both keep telling her to, "come out soon baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment