Saturday, August 27, 2011

I guess I won't be taking drugs.

Lots of triathletes take pain relievers (like Tylenol) during races.  In theory it can help you race better because then you don't feel the aches and pains quite so much.



It can help dull the pain of sitting on this for six to eight hours :
Besides saddle soreness there are plenty of other discomforts to deal with on the bike: foot pain and numbness (from the repeated pressure on the cleat), neck pain (from looking ahead while in aero position), shoulder and elbow soreness (from leaning forward on the elbow pads) and of course  muscle and joint fatigue in the legs.  

So, I was considering taking tylenol during the race and had started experimenting with it during training.  I checked with my coach to get his opinion on the matter and here is his response:

"Let me put it this way, if you need pain reliever you better not be doing the race. I don`t like that stuff at all. Train to get your body in shape and you don`t need the sh**."

All right then.  Looks like I won't be taking drugs after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment