Monday, May 7, 2012

Life's shifts.

Life is funny.

Every stage is so unique.  Each with it's own challenges, adventures and opportunities.  Each requires shifting of time and priorities.

Since being a mother, I have found that for me, exercise is such an important piece of the puzzle.  It has helped me to recover mentally and physically from having babies.  It has given me an outlet.  Triathlon has given me a pursuit.  Triathlon has become such a part of me that I think I will view myself as a triathlete for a long, long time. (I hope!)

This past year, triathlon has shifted to become a larger focus in my life than ever before.  Training for and racing in Ironman Cozumel was a treasured experience for me and Adam.  I have an athlete's drive inside of me and that pursuit gave fire to that drive.

Lately I've had a nudging in my heart, telling me that it's time for another shift.  I have learned to rely on these nudgings, as I feel like they come from God.  Often they feel like simple, sweet messages that come over and over.  Often they are different from the direction I was headed and as I start to listen and put action and words to the promptings, I feel a sweet peace wash over me.

My heart is telling me that it's time to shift more of myself back to my home and my children.

So, it began on Saturday.  I had a 1 hour run scheduled and Adam had a 2 hour bike.  Normally we would head to the gym first thing in the morning and get our workouts done (with the kids in child care) and then spend the rest of the day together as a family.  Instead we decided that I would run home from the kid's dentist appt in Midnapore and Adam would ride while we watched a family movie that night.  That way, we could give our fresh morning selves to the kids and enjoy breakfast and a lazy morning together.  Most importantly, we were trying to follow the promptings.  The day was less than perfect (as family days often are) but I feel peace in this new shift and I know that it's not so much the day to day results but what matters more is what happens in the long run.

I love my family.  I love my kids.  I love my husband.  I love being a mother.  I love being a triathlete.  I don't have to give any of these up because all of these things (and more) are important parts of who I am.  I know that each stage of life will require small and great shifts.  I trust in God to help me figure it all out.


 Picture is after a triathlon that me and Adam did together 4 years ago.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post Kim --- you are real and honest and willing. Plus, you have such Cute kids!!! This is a good post to read the week before Mother's Day --- thank- you!

    Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate how you've articulated the nuances in life and the ever changing stages. Sometimes I feel stuck in a stage, as though I can't get out, and it's liberating reading how you willingly bend to what comes next in your life.

    Although, it came at a small cost. I totally missed you at the gym last Saturday. I thought for sure I'd see you. Oh well, I had four hundred pages of Insurgent to get through so I may not have wanted to chat anyway...:)

    ReplyDelete