Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's a triathlon, not a marathon at the end of a swim and bike.

Great advice from my coach that we need to look at it as one sport and not set our hopes on having an amazing marathon.  This may seem obvious to you but in the sprint and olympic distance triathlons I have competed in, I have typically had amazing runs...but I suppose at the ironman distance it's a different story.  Apparently athletes typically run their marathons 20% slower after finishing the swim and bike than they would run a marathon on it's own


I, on the other hand, can count on a personal best on my run, considering this will be my first marathon ever.  The furthest I have run in training at one time is 26 km.  The training is beautifully designed so that I am recovering and building properly, which does not include marathon distance training runs.

Thought I'd share some pics from the Ironman Cozumel website from last year's race.







Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry at this size.  In exciting news, I have finally found a shirt to wear for my race.  This was quite an ordeal and took me a LONG time but I have finally found it - I just have to test it out on a run to make sure I can maintain a cool body temperature in it.  I will show pictures of it soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, this is very motivating, WOW!!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy...and thanks for reading it.

    ReplyDelete