Thursday, November 3, 2011

What to wear?

This has been an ultimate challenge of "what to wear?"  A close second to trying to find a modest dress to wear for high school grad.

So many factors to consider: 
- Limiting clothing changes to keep transitions short (you might be surprised how hard it is to put clothing on when you are wet and tired.)
- Needs to be breathable and cool in the heat.
- No chaffing. I have found that shirts and shorts that do not chafe on short runs can cause severe pain on long runs.  I get a red rash and even a bit of bleeding just from my heart rate monitor strap on the long runs.
- Long shorts that don't ride up (to prevent thigh chafing).
- Short sleeves (tank tops cause armpit chaffing for me)
- Compression or no compression???  (compression clothing helps with blood flow and limits muscle tearing)
- Must be flattering and attractive.  I know it's a bit vein but I want to look good.  Plus, when I feel like I look good, I race better....it's a nice little mental trick.
- Need a pocket in the shirt so I can carry gels and salt pills.
- Whether or not to keep my tri shorts on for the run.  Fresh shorts might be nice because my tri shorts are made of a heavier material.  Plus,  I don't plan on stopping to use the port o potties on the bike....if you get my drift.

And that's only listing SOME of the factors....there are more.  I had searched all the sport stores in the area with no luck on a shirt.  I had bought an Adidas Cool Max shirt but it was a medium blue color which isn't ideal in the heat, plus it showed sweat stains, which does not meet my "must be attractive" criteria.  I pictured myself running through the finish line, arms raised in the air, with huge sweat stains everywhere.  Not so great.

I tried the Running Room but it seemed to overwhelm the clerk when I listed my criteria for a shirt (sleeves, pocket, light color, cool materials etc).  She conveniently started helping another customer, as if to say, "good luck lady - you're on your own."  But all was not lost because I was out shopping with my mom and sister at the Sport Chek in Shawnessy when a very helpful salesperson started collecting shirts for me to try on from the back room. She found this great Canada shirt...it's a cycling shirt, so I need to test it out on a long run to make sure it works for running.  Cycling shirts have high necklines so that you don't get airflow into the shirt creating a dragging sail.  I'm hoping I can just zip the front down on the run and it will be cool enough.  Cycling shirts also have huge pockets in the back, which will allow me to grab whatever I want at the aid stations and eat when I feel like it.  Plus, I get to show my national pride...which is so fun!







My shirt with compression tri shorts.


















                    With my runnning shorts.(If I decide to change them).  








Back of my cycling shirt - notice the big pockets.












And last of all, my shoes.  I know they don't match but they are so light and fast and even cushy that I just have to go with them.







P.S. "What to wear" on the swim is a whole other story.  I'm hoping that my coach is going to be able to lend me a skin suit because then I can simply wear my clothes underneath the suit.  

3 comments:

  1. We should all shop at that store!! Not only have you prepared well for this race, you are going to Look GOOD!! Double, double!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was anticipating a fashion show, and all that we got was clothes on the ground. Come on, show it off. You've earned it. Make sure you include the green runners in the fashion show. It makes the outfit.

    Just don't get a big head or do things for the wrong reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to look so good!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete