Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dealing with fears.

FEAR.
We all feel it at times.  We all choose whether or not to act on it.  I am personally fascinated by the topic and have had a private quest to 'not take counsel from my fears'.  This is how I define fearlessness;  it is not that a fearless person does not feel fear.  I believe it's that the fearless person chooses not to act on their fears.

Fears are generally not good counsel.  They are often irrational, disproportionate, pessimistic and generally unhelpful.  Understandably, I have had some of my own fears regarding this Ironman race.  I have dabbled at reading a couple of books, as aids to my mental preparations for the race:


Great books but the most helpful pieces of advice came from my German coach, through email, this past week:

Q. Any tips for me for staying mentally strong and positive when everything starts to hurt and my body doesn't want to continue??  That's the fun of Ironman right; when you keep on going even when your body is suffering. :)
A. Set yourself little goals, like reaching T1 etc. and don`t focus on the big stuff. But I think to finish your first IM will be enough motivation.  Don`t think too much, just do it.

Two valuable pieces of advice for being "fearless" in life and in Ironman: set little goals and don't overthink, just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment