Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The bottleneck to health.

At nutrition class in university I had been taught that if you eat a balanced and healthy diet, there is no need to supplement with vitamins/minerals.  I believed this at the time but have gradually come to believe otherwise.  My opinion now is that, due in part, to poor quality food production, we need to supplement.

Lululemon seems to agree because on their bags they state:
Take various vitamins.  You never know what small mineral can eliminate the bottleneck to everlasting health.  


Yesterday I saw a naturopath doctor and had a mini sports IV (I'll get a full one in 2 weeks) and prolotherapy (more on that in a minute).  As the IV drip started, he said that once my B vitamins were topped up, I would get a taste in my mouth similar to a multivitamin taste and when the magnesium was topped up, I would feel warmth in my chest and face.  I had neither sensation until the very end of the drip, meaning that I was VERY LOW on these nutrients.  I had been taking a multivitamin everyday, so obviously it had not been enough for me.

  So, I went out and bought some higher quality supplements and consider it well worth my money:

As to the prolotherapy, I now have about 60 needle marks like this in various locations in my body.
Vitamin B in a dextrose solution is injected into the muscles with a 5 inch long needle to break up scar tissue and help the areas heal and strengthen.  I had my quads, hip flexors, gluts, pecs, feet and calves done.  I've done this once before and the results are amazing.  Plus, we have insurance coverage for it, so why not??

And yes, it hurts.  But, so worth it.

1 comment: