Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Heat and Humidity

I've been doing a little reading on exercising in heat and humidity.  Apparently at higher temps, your heart rate goes up by 10 beats per minute.  Same thing with high humidity.  So, that's 20 beats higher in total.  I plan to race in a specific heart rate zone (about 135 on the bike and 155 on the run), so it will be interesting to see how much slower I have to go in the heat and humidity in order to be in the correct zone.

To be honest, I'm kind of sad about this because I'm probably in the best shape of my life (definitely the best aerobic shape) and I was looking forward to laying down some amazing times.  In reality I may be quite a bit slower than planned, in order to accommodate for the weather.  Although I've never run a marathon, I feel like I could run it in less than 4 hours (even 3.5 hours in ideal conditions) but this seems unlikely in Cozumel.

Here's the weather today in Cozumel:
Partly cloudy26°C







FEELS LIKE 37!!   I didn't know 26 degrees could feel like 37 degrees.  I just need to remember that finishing this ironman will be a huge accomplishment, no matter what my time is.

1 comment:

  1. That is right on the money --- this is a huge accomplishment. Enjoy every minute of it!!

    ReplyDelete