Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tears in the pool and other ups and downs


The swim
Downs: Struggling with fears and negative thinking (ie feeling like I suck,
worried that I might not ever be able to do the race distance, worried about puking
during the race from swallowing salt water.)
Crying during/after every swim session for the first couple months of training.  Feeling like a fish in a bowl...back and forth...back and forth....
Ups: Trusting in my training program and carrying on despite my fears.
Watching a mini-miracle as I learn how to swim and even enjoy it. I haven't cried in the pool in months.  It feels amazing to go forward, despite fears.

The bike
Downs: Sore feet, sore butt, sore neck, long boring rides, wind, rain, heat, peeing in ditches, and sunburns.
Ups: Thrilling moments when I'm cycling along and an amazing song surges me with energy.  The exhilaration of speed (have you ever cycled downhill at 70 km/hr...if not, put it on your bucket list). Breathtaking scenery and falling in love anew with the surrounding area of Calgary. 

The run
Downs: Achy knees, hips and feet.  Emergency bathroom breaks on long runs.  Ok, not
much to report here...I fell in love with running years ago.
Ups:  Discovering that Imodium helps prevent the emergency bathroom breaks.  Getting faster and faster and the feeling of flying across the pavement with my heart rate comfortably in the zone.  Running at sunset on the ridge in fish creek park - incredible!   



Overall
Downs: This sport can be really expensive!  Feeling stress as me and Adam try to fit
our training in, while at the same time, being there for our kids and for each other.
Feeling discouraged that my body
hasn't changed as much as I hoped it would.
Ups: Learning how to eat an elephant:  I'm getting experience at taking a daunting task
and breaking it up in my mind into small, manageable pieces.  I'm learning how to find
enjoyment in things that kinda suck. 
I've realized how much I love triathlon...last year I thought I needed a change of hobby.
Seeing the changes in my body (less fat, more lean muscle, lower heart rate etc)
 Going through this amazing process with my best friend and supporting each other
through all the ups and downs.

2 comments:

  1. FYI- I think your body has totally changed. You must not be able to see it because you're even more toned than before. You even look healthier (which is hard to believe cuz u still worked out lots before).
    Thx for the elephant analogy. I think it could be useful considering what's coming up in my life over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really!?! Thanks Silvana. It's hard to notice changes in my body because they are so gradual.
    FYI - You are going to be amazing the next few weeks and I am totally planning how I can support you....I'm thinking of bringing over cut up veggies this time, rather than baking :)

    ReplyDelete