Friday, February 10, 2012

Shin Splints

I'm three weeks into training and have given myself shin splints.  I've had these before, so I know how to care for them.  I made the common error of going too hard during rest week.  My training calls for 2 weeks on and 1 week rest (by rest I mean reduced training).  So on Tuesday I was supposed to do a 45 minute run.  I did my run, then went to a one hour cardio class, then taught boot camps that evening at my house.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but not so much when I woke up sore the next morning.

So instead of my run this morning I did 45 minutes on the elliptical machine and then did a yoga class.  Yoga felt amazing and was just what I needed.

Other than the shin splints, training is going really well.  Almost every time I exercise I think, "wow, this is so eary compared to full ironman training."  I just need to remember to take it easier during rest week, so that I let my body have the time it needs to recover before going hard again.

No comments:

Post a Comment